Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Pacific Dunes - 10/1



It's the last round of the weekend. The sun is out and the course looks great. You'll remember from my earlier post that when I played on Friday, it was so foggy that we could see where our shots went. It's really interesting to play in this kind of weather. I was tired and sore, my back was so stiff that I didn't even thing I could swing the club. First drive was a snap hook, the second a slice, the third a push and then finally got it together. I think the Guinness helped loosen the muscles. We were having a good time and my scores were improving from the earlier rounds. About the seventh hole we could see fog moving in from the ocean, but it was still clear on the course. I took a look back to see one our foursome hit his second shot. I followed the ball fly past me and as I looked up the fairway all I saw was mother Russia. The fog had covered the course in the matter of seconds. It was really something to see. 3 or 4 holes later the fog lifted and we could see the course again.

We come to the 338 yard par 4 16th. The caddie pulls out the 3-wood then looks at me and says, "What the fuck" let's go for it. So I do and push it just right of the green pin high in spotty grass. I ended up with par. My playing partner drives the green and has a tough 10 footer for eagle, he drains it. We finish 18 and an incredible weekend of golf.

The facilities are incredible, the staff nice and the whole operation ran so smooth you thought the course had been open for decades. I think Bandon Dunes opened in 1999. The cottage that we stayed in had four bedrooms each with flat screen TVs mounted on the wall with a common area, again with a large flat screen, surround sound and a fireplace. Truly one of the greatest experiences I've ever had. I'm not sure I could afford this on my own, so I'll just have to plant the seeds for next year. Stay tuned...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home